Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Dark Knight

Critics have been raving The Dark Knight since Heath's death. I tried to grab my hands on every newspaper that commented/critiqued the show for the past few weeks. It has all been good reviews. Not one of them said otherwise. I can't lie - I was waiting to be blown away by Heath's last performance. Turns out, it was a performance of a lifetime.
After sitting through The Dark Knight, it made me forget the other movies that I've watched this year. Literally. My neck hurts from being too stiff, probably because I didn't move for a certain period of time. All because I was so fixated with The Joker. Personally, Joker has always been my favourite villain from the Batman series. Why? Because he's different. He's the only one to drive Batman totally insane.
The movie focuses on, in my perspective, who Joker is and his motives for being..well, him. He's more sinister, more realistic. It stirs away from the old Batman movie - meaning showing how the Joker became the Joker. This time, they went in depth with what he has become and why. He's self-righteous, cynical to all things that is good and wrapped in a never-ending tango with Batman. I must admit, Heath's portrayal .... practically slayed the would-be Jokers in the future. He's a tough act to follow. As the Joker, he not only made me afraid - but laugh. Lol. "You complete me" and "Want to see a magic trick? See this pencil disappear!"
Critics have been asking the same question: Are they saying his performance deserves an award because he died or because he's good? In all fairness, it's nothing to do with his untimely death. Nothing. Albus Dumbledore in the second installment of Harry Potter died, people didn't rave like this. Even when Aaliyah passed away, critics didn't say her performance was excellent in Queen of the Damned. Therefore, even if Heath is alive today, critics would still rave about him. It will forever be a benchmark to all Jokers. It is what it is - A Priceless Performance. Kudos to Heath. RIP.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home